indoor plants

Building the Home Office: Adjusting to the New Normal

It’s time to face the fact that nothing will be back to normal post-pandemic. COVID 19 has stretched so many companies’ resources so thin that even the biggest companies are thinking about and looking at having a hybrid of schedules with regard to working. On some days, people would be working in the office. On the other days, however, if they are not needed to be there in person, then working from home will do.

There are more pros than cons in that type of scenario. The logic is that, since a lot was achieved even in a remote working setup, why not just continue to save money this way? Many companies, especially service-oriented ones, operated under the assumption that the pandemic has no certain end. For a lot of employees, working remotely was both a blessing and a curse.

Working remotely has had its pros and cons during the pandemic. It is not hard to imagine its pros and cons in the new age of the “New Normal.” In a study conducted by the Stanford University during the pandemic, it was found that only 26% of all the employees in the country were working on business premises. It is unbelievable that even with the remaining 74% not working on-site, the United States economy was still afloat. The cons of working remotely are surprisingly little in the New Normal. It is slowly looking like this will be the way moving forward.

For many employees, it means that a home office will be a must. An actual office inside one’s home might sound a little soulless and hectic. With the right mindset and area, however, a home office will be a godsend.

How does one set up and build a home office?


A Home Office Has Space

First of all, a home office where one can do work remotely must have the appropriate space for work. Office space must not be cramped or too spacious. It must be just right. Home offices are often not thought about so much because it is a new necessity in the 21st century. The pandemic pushed everyone to plan ahead with these types of rooms.

Home offices must have space enough to navigate for thinking and for files and documents to organize in. Similar to actual office space, it must have the same amenities as at least a cubicle. If it can mimic a cubicle or a room in the actual office, it is better. Working from home offers a lot of distractions for the employee. A separate space away from all the distractions is ideal to keep a focused mind while doing actual work.

A Home Office Has Electricity

A home office must have an electrical supply. A home office cannot be just a garage or a patio. A home office must have the basics of an office: mainly electricity. An electrical supply will ensure that space has enough light, heating, and air conditioning for a person to stay in for hours on end. Electricity is also important to ensure that his or her personal computer gets an adequate electrical supply for continued use. You wouldn’t want your fuse box to short circuit in the middle of a virtual meeting.

A Home Office Has Internet

It is basic that the home office should at least have internet. Internet is the key utility for working remotely. Without it, working from your home would simply be impossible. Make sure that you enlist in the most value for money internet. If you can make a LAN port available in the room, the better. Working with just Wi-Fi can sometimes just not cut it. You need a stable and reliable internet connection for heavy use at work.

A Home Office is Comfortable and Tidy

A home office must be comfortable and tidy enough for you to stay in for several hours straight. Similar to actual work offices, home offices must have the perfect amenities for you to keep you in tip-top shape for work. There are a lot of things you can do to spruce up your home office if you haven’t done it yourself yet.

Installing heating and air conditioning is basic and necessary to keep you from being uncomfortable in the room. Allowing a reliable contractor to install a hardwood floor instead of carpets will keep the home office from accumulating dust and residue. Dust can play a part in developing respiratory problems if left unchecked. Better err on the safe side and ditch carpets altogether.

Home offices are now. Thanks to the pandemic, we are now given the chance to work remotely in the comforts of our own homes in the New Normal. It is not the time to squander the chance. Construct your own home office to make the adjustment easier.

Share this post:
Scroll to Top